Incorporated in 1940 but with origins dating to the 1880s, the Adams County Historical Society houses over one million documents, photographs, and historic artifacts significant to the nearly 300-year story of one of America's most fascinating communities.
Our members enjoy free access to thousands of genealogical and land-related records dating back to the 1700s. These include published and unpublished family histories, family files, local newspapers and abstracts, original deed books, yearly tax ledgers, wills and estate files, private collections, and thousands of original photos.
ACHS welcomes research on any local history topic, from schools to churches, buisinesses, and organizations. For those interested in the Battle of Gettysburg, ACHS is also home to the Battle of Gettysburg Research Center where you can research any aspect of the Gettysburg Campaign.
Below are our membership levels, all of which provide, among other things, free access to our archives and complimentary access to the nearby Seminary Ridge Museum.
Membership exclusively for students & educators:
- $10 Student Membership - open to all K - 12 students including those at the university level, free use of the archives, 4 free photographic/document reproductions annually (for items not exceeding 8.5"X14").
- $20 Educator Membership - Open to current educators at any grade or university level, free access to the archives, 10 free photographic/document reporductions annually (for items not exceeding 8.5"X14").
General membership levels:
- $40 Supporting Membership – free use of the archives, annual subscription to our newsletter, invitations and reduced fees to all regular member events, tours, and trips, reduced fees for all workshops, courses and seminars, unlimited complimentary access to the Seminary Ridge Museum, and the satisfaction of knowing your dues support the work of the Society.
- $60 Family Membership – all the above benefits, plus free use of the archives for four permanent residents of your household.
- $120 Patron Membership – All of the above benefits plus free use of the archives for all permanent residents of your household, a 10% discount on ACHS books and merchandise, and invitations to all special events and tours. Enjoy Free access to more than 1,000 other museums across American through the North American Reciprocal Museum (NARM) Association. https://narmassociation.org/
- $250 "Bermudian Settlement" Membership - Receive a $25 gift certificate plus a Family Membership to be given to the recipient of your choice.
- $500 “Carroll’s Delight” Membership – Your dues at this level offer you a special opportunity to make a significant annual contribution to our operating budget. We offer you all of the benefits above plus our Heritage Package which includes a family membership to the Pennsylvania Heritage Foundation. Benefits of the Heritage Foundation include: a subscription to Pennsylvania Heritage Magazine, including PA Heritage's newsletter; free unlimited general admission to the PHMC's historic sites and museums for 2 adults and all children and grandchildren under 18 (special events may have an additional fee); invitations to special Signature Series events; and a 10% discount on most merchandise ordered through ShopPAHeritage.com (does not apply to non-PHMC Commonwealth publications). Schedule a private behind the scenes tour of the ACHS headquarters featuring a "show & tell" of rare items in the collections for up to 6 guests. Receive a special "Guest of" membership card which may be used throughout the year for your guest to enjoy free access to the archives.
- $1000 “Digges' Choice” Membership – Dues at this level and above offer you an extraordinary opportunity to make a significant annual contribution to our operating budget. This enables us to achieve significant annual goals. We offer you all of the previous benefits plus a family membership in the National Trust for Historic Preservation which includes a subscription to their award-winning quarterly preservation magazine, discounts at over 500 historic places worldwide including all National Trust Historic Sites across the country, and 10% off the best available rates at Historic Hotels of America for two adults and all children under 18 in your household. Also, receive a $50 gift certificate annually.
To become a member of the Adams County Historical Society using our secured system, complete the fields below or print the downloadable PDF form and mail your membership to the Society. All memberships are good for one year from the date of joining the organization. Members will receive confirmation of their membership and a membership card via the regular mail.
Set up your membership to automatically renew each year by calling us at (717) 334-4723!
NOTE: This form is for new memberships only.
If you wish to renew your membership, please call (717) 334-4723.
Please supply all fields. *