The Adams County Historical Society is located at the Wolf House, 368 Springs Avenue, on the southern end of the United Lutheran Seminary Campus at Gettysburg. Free parking is available along Springs Avenue. Our facility is handicap-accessible through a side entrance.
About Our Holdings
In addition to a large artifact collection, ACHS houses extensive archival holdings including selective birth and baptismal records, marriage licenses and church records, wills and estate files, death certificates, and compiled genealogical information such as family files, manuscripts, family collections, and published family histories. The collection also includes indexes to every newspaper published in Adams County, as well as their original bound volumes. For a list of pertinent finding aids and indexes, please click here.
ACHS also provides a large body of information concerning historic homes and other significant sites around Gettysburg and Adams County. These resources include annual tax assessment books for each borough and township dating from 1800 through the mid 1950s, as well as original deed books and a large collection of unrecorded deeds and other land-related documents.
ACHS is known for its Battle of Gettysburg Research Library where authors and Civil War enthusiasts utilize rare collections of Gettysburg-related materials. A highlight of this resource is our collection of over 300 civilian accounts of the Battle of Gettysburg and Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address. This compilation has been widely used by authors and students of the battle in hundreds of books, articles, and other published materials.
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information or research assistance (e.g. individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities) may contact the USDA Hearing Impaired Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.
Please review our Research Guidelines for more information.
Below: The Wolf House (1883), current headquarters of the Adams County Historical Society.